Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Winter & F5/F6 Blimp (Soundproof case)

GLOBETROTTER

UK
540 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
GLOBETROTTER Registered since 11th Aug 2003
Sun 16-Jan-05 01:03 PM

Now that the colder winter weather is here (although I must say that the weather is quite mild in UK today, and temperatures have been up & down like a yo-yo lately, especially in other parts of the world, which cloud be in some part due to a knock-on affect from the recent earthquake and Tsunamis)- I thought I'd pass on my thoughts on a certain useful and very lightweight item to pack inside yuor camera bag.

For many years, especially when photographing wildlife in the extreme cold, ice, and snow conditions of winter in Scandinavia, I used to use a home-made battery warmer (made from cut & shaped foam, with a camouflage material cover) that fitted over the motordrive battery pack.
More recently I've been using the Nikon F5 with the Nikon Blimp (Nikon order number CS 13). This Nikon Soundproof Case (made from soft black simulated leather material, and filled with foam insulation) is not a 'case' as such, but more like an oversized mitten glove with added entrance zips, view flaps, and an opening for your right hand to operate the camera body controls.

I've found this Blimp to be very useful. Not only does it 'mask' a lot of the shutter & motordrive sounds (although not completely soundproof), but it also does several other important jobs. Being made of soft 'leather-like' material, it prevents your eyelids or skin on your face becoming 'glued' to the cold metal camera body during extreme low temperatures. The thickly padded insulation helps to keep those important batteries or power-packs at higher temperatures than outside. The insulation is also extremely warm for your hand, which in turn, helps maintain optimum battery power, as well as preventing the film inside from becoming too brittle due to extreme temperatures.

The Nikon soft 'Blimp' case not only fits the F5, and F6 plus vertical grip (and the quieter F6 should be truly 'silent' in operation inside the Blimp), but it also is large enough to be of use with any Nikon camera - from the F, F2,F3, F4, FM2, FE2, FM3a etc, to all the D-series digital cameras.

www.gallery.globetrotterworld.co.uk

www.wilderness-photo.co.uk

www.NIKKOR.co.uk

G