Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Will Using the T Shutter Setting Save Battery Power?

JMA

Cincinnati, US
125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JMA Registered since 26th Mar 2003
Wed 07-Jan-04 01:57 AM

I was reading a thread in the F4 users group about the T shutter setting. On this thread the T setting was explained as follows:

"The T is for really long exposures.
The shutter stays open until you turn the shutter speed dial to another setting. If the exposure is longer than about 30 seconds the camera uses no electricity, and to close the shutter and make the camera ready for the next shot one has to turn the shutter speed dial to another setting and depress the shutter button once."

On the F5 you can change the default Bulb setting to T though the SoftTalk software. If one changes to the T setting, will the same hold true for the F5 as for the F4. In other words will the F5 "power down" after 30 seconds during a long exposure? I can see if one wanted to do astrophotography, for example, that this T setting would be a big power saver, as you could easily consume your batteries in one evening of very long exposures.

John, in Cincinnati, OH

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Will Using the T Shutter Setting Save Battery Power