Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon F5 /Tamron Lens compatability problem or User Error

NASCARFAN

US
33 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NASCARFAN Basic Member
Mon 10-Jul-00 11:41 AM

Hello,

I recently broke down and purchased a Nikon F5 camera body. I had previously owned a pair of Minolta 7000I'S and a Couple of Nikon N70's. I been shooting action photography for about 10 yrs (mostly railroad photography) and was looking to move up to the "best of the best" camera body. I scrimped & saved until I could purchase the F5. I've read the manual, and set the camera up for my specific needs: Continuos focus with focus release priority (CUSTOM SETTING), Dynamic Autofocus, Matrix Metering....I own a Tamron 70-300 and a 28-200 lens. I shoot mostly slide film but decided to shoot print until I had a grasp on what I was doing. Unfortunately after 5/10 rolls of film, I'm less than impressed with the results...My pictures are less than "crisply" or "sharply" focused. It appears that the main subject (the oncoming locomotive) is "generally" focused but the specific details of the subject are "fuzzy" or not sharp. It is especially noticeable on brightly lit, high contrast situations (example: the "number boards" on some locomotives are white, but the actual numbers are black….On a bright sunny day this area of the locomotive is "fuzzy" and not sharp. On a gray day this is less noticeable but still present. It doesn't seem to matter whether the locomotive is stationary, or in motion, the problem
is still present. It also doesn't seem to matter which of the two lenses I use, it's still present. could this be a result of the lenses ?? (Tamron) or am I just missing something??? The reviews of the F5 were excellent in the area of focusing, but I haven't been able to realize this with my arrangement. Is the answer buying a couple of Nikkor lenses, or just operator error??? Any advise you can think of would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Dave

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon F5 /Tamron Lens compatability problem or User...

G