Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

You learn something every day

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 01-Oct-02 01:42 AM

I am the guy who took a fall with my F5 and had the 2x teleconverter and 80-200 zoom attached.

The F5 is going to cost $385, just to get it repaired enough to get it onto the machine to diagnose the rest. As the tech said, "...it is bent out of shape enough that we cannot get it on the machine".

The teleconverter is going to cost $50. No biggie.

They have to send the lens off to Nikon to fix. The young girl at the front counter told me that she knows that, because the lens is an 80-200 f/2.8 AFS...that stands for At Factory Service (I always thought it stood for Auto Focus - Silent!)

Anyway, I did not embarass her.

It will be interesting to see how much to fix the thing. It was not damaged, so you could tell by looking at it. Just the mounting ring, as I could tell.

However, if it costs $500 or more to fix, you can get the whole new lens for $1500.

At which point does it become impractical to fix and one should just buy a new lens...

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: You learn something every day