Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

F4 eyepiece & eyecup variants?

Googlyelmo

Seattle, US
113 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Googlyelmo Registered since 10th Oct 2012
Sun 17-Feb-13 01:37 PM

I have an F4 that is a sweetie, but it came to me without an eyecup/eyepiece. So I am left with some choices, looking at the items available through Boca Photo and KEH. There are 46mm wide eyecups, with and without eyepiece glass, DK-17 Nikon replacements, and many other variants. I am having a hard time determining what to get. My F4 has NOTHING attached to the eyepiece, just a threaded metal lip that is integral with the DP-20 finder, and I can touch the red shutter when it is closed.

I think I'd prefer to get two items. First, the original rubber-covered narrow-rim screw in fitting (which I believe is the DK-17), and then also one of the wide variety (some of which appear to fit over/screw into the DK-17 some directly to the DP-20, some with glass, some not). As for the DK-2 listed in the F4 manual (available now on KEH) I am unsure if it attaches directly to the DP-20, or whether another fitting is required between them.

I'd appreciate others' experiences and recommendations. Also, alternative sources for these parts (since much of Boca's inventory seems to be on backorder most of the time, even the darn little strap rings with plastic protectors! Likewise KEH, which is sort of catch as catch can)? Thanks.

--Will

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: F4 eyepiece & eyecup variants?

G