Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Testing meter accuracy on an F4?

Googlyelmo

Seattle, US
113 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Googlyelmo Registered since 10th Oct 2012
Sun 10-Feb-13 05:30 AM

This does not apply only to the F4, but I wonder how best to test a camera's built-in meter(s) for accuracy and consistency? At the moment, with the F4 and several other non-Nikon 35mm cameras I have acquired over the past 2 years (Canonet G-III QL-17, Leica-Minolta CL, Leica R4s, Pentax Spotmatic II) I have used the meter in my D7000, my brother's D90, an analog Bower selenium handheld, and a Gossen Digisix to compare readings.

What do you do, short of either taking the camera to professionals for testing, or use of exotic test gear? I don't have any actual problems at the moment with my F4, though it (and the color print film I have mainly shot in it so far) behaves somewhat differently than digital sensors do.

That is, while the F4 and D7000 closely agree most of the time (using same lens @ same aperture, and equiv. focal length, both P and A modes) to 0.3 EV or less in both matrix and CW, and in both cases I get what I consider acceptably correct exposure, in lower light (EV 9 and below) the film is darker (though also more contrasty) than the output of the D7K. Not bad, just different, and possibly the particular cheap color print film and drug store processing I have been using has an effect also. The difference is significantly less when I scan the negs and either print or view onscreen beside the D7K images. So, any tricks or kludges on offer?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Testing meter accuracy on an F4?

G