Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

F4 DC supply voltage: MB-21 vs. MB-20?

Googlyelmo

Seattle, US
113 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Googlyelmo Registered since 10th Oct 2012
Tue 04-Dec-12 10:47 PM

In mulling the perennial question about the use of disposible Lithium batteries in the F4, I had a few thoughts.

I have an F4. Now the MB-20 grip takes 4 cells, and the MB-21 takes 6 cells. What I wonder is what the supply voltages are to various items (4 motors, meter, LCDs, etc.) The concern about using lithium sulfate primary batteries has been damage from an over-voltage condition. But if the nominal supply voltage in the F4s is 9VDC (6x1.5V), and in the F4 it is 6VDC (4x1.5V), then lithiums at a nominal 1.85V per cell (so 7.4 from 4 cells) should be OK, assuming everything other than the grip is the same.

I'd love to get my hands on a Nikon service manual, or even just the electronic schematic for the F4 and the F4s. For now, I am sticking with best quality alkalines, but the above makes me wonder. Anyone know the nominal voltage supply numbers? Failing that, anyone either know, or willing to test, what a MB-21 loaded with alkalines gives for a voltage reading, with new cells?

--Will

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: F4 DC supply voltage: MB-21 vs. MB-20?

G