Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Recommendations to repair an F4

InsuredDisaster

US
95 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
InsuredDisaster Registered since 27th Aug 2008
Sun 19-Feb-12 08:10 PM

My Nikon F4 is a late model, very good condition unit, and thus, I don't think I should toss and replace it. Rather, I want to just have it serviced.

The problem is that there appears to be some sort of contact issue between the DP-20 prism and the body. When a flash is on the camera, sometimes it doesn't fire, and sometimes it does. If the flash is leaning forward, then it doesn't fire. If its leaning back, it does.

I've solved the problem by putting a small, folded piece of paper between the prism and the body at the front of the prism. So I am 99% sure it is not a hot shoe/flash connection issue. I've also pushed the flash forward (gently) and pushed or pulled on the prism and as long as I push the rear of the prism down, the flash will fire.

I've also tried cleaning the contact area, but this doesn't help.

I'm wondering where I can send my F4 off to to have it looked at. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Recommendations to repair an F4