Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon F5 Seems to lock up when MF-28 is installed...

topslakr

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
topslakr Registered since 18th Dec 2007
Mon 09-Jan-12 05:42 PM

Hello,

I have finally taken delivery of a beautiful F5 camera and an MF-28 back. The camera itself came without the back and I was able to install batteries into the MF-28 and install it on the F5. I love that it's easy to do without any tools!

With the standard F5 back, the camera works great. All the function buttons and dials are fully operative. I can change modes, move the AF point, ect. No issues. Works exactly as I would expect.

I installed the MF-28 back, with a fresh set of CR2025 batteries, and the camera is all but inoperative. What ever settings I had on the camera before the back swap remain, but I cannot change anything. I can't change the camera mode, I can't modify the ISO settings, I can't move the AF point. Pressing the buttons on the back of the MF-28 and rotating the command dials has no effect whatsoever. The controls just go dead.

The MF-28 shows a full battery meter on the screen and is perfectly solid when the F5 is powered on. When the F5 is powered off the MF-28 flashes every couple of seconds but doesn't lose the time or seem to be affected by it.

With or without the back, AF works and the shutter works but with the back installed I cannot make any settings changes to the camera, or on the back. Am I missing something? I've read through the manual looking for any clues as to why the controls are locked out but I can't seem to find any logic for it...

Do I have a dud back? It's in great physical condition but that doesn't mean it's not fried on the inside somehow...

Any help anyone can offer would be quite appreciated!

Thanks!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon F5 Seems to lock up when MF-28 is installed.....

G