Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wondering about "Stacking Extenders"...

The Long Ranger

US
301 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
The Long Ranger Registered since 25th Aug 2007
Mon 22-Oct-07 02:42 AM

Hi Gang...

I tried checking the archives on this but I must be doing something wrong 'cause I can't seem to come up with anything.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what would happen or if it's advisable to try stacking two extenders (a 1.4x and a 2.0x) on the same telephoto... For example, I have a 300mm f/2.8 (which I guess would give me 840mm f/8 and a 500mm f/4 (which would give a 1,400mm f/11 and that's probably silly.) Now, this is using a full frame film body. With digital, those focal lengths, I guess, would be bumped up by 50% producing 1,260mm and 2,100mm, respectively.

If I think about this it makes me smile 'cause it's just so silly and even if it might work, the image quality would have to be awful. I live in PA but with 2,100mm, I could probably photograph "beach babes" in LA...if it weren't for mirage.

Anyhow, do you think it can be done? Would the camera take it physically? Would I have metering and AF? So many questions and so little time.

An, in speaking of time, I guess I must have a little too much on my hands, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking of sillyness like this. But, be that as it may, if anyone has any thoughts on how any of this might work out, I'd sure enjoy hearing your thoughts...

Many thanks for putting up with me...it's really appreciated.

Richard
The Long Ranger

"Ole' Thick Uncle Dick"
The Long Ranger
A Telephoto Lovin' Nikonian

"There are none so blind as those who would not see..."

G