Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zoom Lens for my F4s - Help me decide!

NC_A1_F4

Toronto, CA
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NC_A1_F4 Registered since 12th Sep 2007
Tue 02-Oct-07 12:11 AM

Hi All,

My next intended purchase for my F4s is a telephoto zoom lens. Going to my local store I have narrowed it down to two:

(1) Nikon 80-200 AF f2.8 ED
- This lens sells for ~$950 used

(2) Nikon 70-300 AF f/4-5.6D ED
- This sells for ~$370 brand new in box

First off money is not an object for me since regarding these two - both are in price ranges within my budget.

The f2.8 is a beast...I found it heavy (no surprise) and do not really look forward to carrying it on my day long photo trips and such..I am not a professional or even a serious amateur...Just a hobbyist with a love for snapping pictures...The f4 was smaller and lighter which I found to be a nice advantage...It also goes to 300mm..So there is a bit of extra coverage

But will the f4 produce acceptable image quality...I use colour negative film mostly with only the occasional 5X7 or larger prints...

Can anyone with experience with both provide some input...Is this really a quality vs convenience decision....?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

G