Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wondering about film life...

RadDadster

US
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RadDadster Registered since 04th Jul 2007
Sat 25-Aug-07 02:17 AM

Hi All...

I was just wondering if anyone might like to share experiences or opinions on how long film can be used without image degradation beyond its "use by" date. And, how far past the use by date can you go before you start to experience image problems. How much does refrigerating the film prolong its useful life? Is freezing the film a better alternative and how much would that add to a film's life?

I just bought a bunch of old Velvia 50 with a use by date of 12/07 and I'm wondering how far beyond that date I can safely go.

I have two F5 bodies that are both in absolutely pristine, like new condition and I also have two D200's. The truth of the matter is I like the F5's every bit as much as the D200's and maybe even more. I don't know if that makes me crazy or what but there's just something about handling and using film that's soothing to my soul.

Which reminds me... I also just bought some new Velvia 100 with a 12/08 use by date and I'm wondering what kind of reputation it's developing.

I'll really look forward to and be very grateful for any thoughts you folks might like to share on any or all of the above. Many, many thanks, in advance...

Dick
(RadDadster)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Wondering about film life...

G