Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Camera inspections at airports

yumacool

Yuma, US
46 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
yumacool Registered since 16th Feb 2004
Sat 16-Sep-06 07:34 PM

This has been a point of discussion for several years, but there are still inconsistencies at airports regarding the inspection of cameras and film prior to boarding. I traveled through Salt Lake City yesterday and asked the TSA inspector if he could hand check my camera. He replied, "We don't hand check cameras. You have to run them through the x-ray." When I complained, he asked me the speed of the film loaded in the camera and I told him it was 800 speed film. (It was only 400 ISO film, but I knew he would inspect it if it was 800 or above.) He went ahead an hand-inspected it.

Anyway, what should you do in this situation? Ask for a supervisor? Most airports seem cooperative (I've never had a problem in San Jose, CA.) but rules seem inconsistently understood and enforced. I traveled through Washington DC Dulles a year ago where they gave me and my camera a real hard time. Maybe I need to carry a standard set of TSA rules to show them ...

Chuck

"All generalizations are false -- including this one."

Chuck

"All generalizations are false -- including this one."

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Camera inspections at airports