Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To sell or not to sell?

z18turbo

Melbourne, AU
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
z18turbo Registered since 13th Dec 2005
Tue 13-Dec-05 10:24 AM

Hi all

Over the past three months I have made the jump to to digital, well not really a jump as i have had a coolpix 5000 for several years whilst i was backpacking around europe etc, more the jump back into real photography rather than point and shoot happy snaps. I have found that I mainly shoot what I always used to shoot when I was serious about photography and used an old pentax k1000 setup, nature and landscapes, urban and wild, as well as some motor sports etc.

For the landscape work I have gone thee medium format route as I have found that Bronicas are now cheap and easy to get.

The problem that I am having is that I just cant seem to get the image qual' out of the D70 that I used to get out of film. I do a lot of manual focus work, both through my 400 (Birds and other wildlife), and also recently macro work with my Nikor 70 - 245 AF D lens mounted on a PN - 11 tube. I aam also finding the D70s a real mission to focus. I might not have always taken the best pictures but I rarely had so many out of focus on the old pentax. On the D70s, manualy focusing I often only get a couple in focus out of say 35 - 40 shots. Recently a close friend of mine who runs a picture framing buisness brought an Epson STYLUS PRO 9600 and we spat out some A2 size prints which were really not very good quality, understandably so but that leads into my question.

I can currently sell my D70s and basiclly replace it with a used F5, and plustek opticfilm 7200i scanner. I will still be able to use my lenses on the f5, except the 18 - 70 dx but that will go with the D70s, and I am hoping the I will be able to get better quality scans shooting with velvia etc. Also the much better veiwfinder, and changeable screens should solve my focusing woes. I would however lose the instant viewing capability but I have found that seems to make me lazy as I now I can just delete and keep on shooting.

Any advice, opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have had no experiance with scanning slides and don't really now what to expect, and that model of scanner was only based on reading things on the net, I would really like a scanner that could also do my 120 flim but this model seemed to offer the best res'. Or should I just leave the scanning up to labs? Would the F5 be the best choice of body?.

Thanks greatly in advance for any comments, I don't want to rush into things like I did with the D70s.

Jarrod Knight

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: To sell or not to sell?

G