Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focusing screen and electronic rangefinder do not agree

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Sat 15-Jan-05 12:21 AM

got me thinking critically about something that I've noticed for a while: I don't think my cameras are calibrated correctly for accurate focus. But read on, there's a catch!

The electronic rangefinders of both my N90s and N8008s seem to agree with the viewing image when my Nikkor lenses are mounted. The N8008s might actually be a hair off, actually, even with the Nikkors, but it's not so bad. The N90s seems perfect, but then again I don't have a magnifier to check the finder image more critically. (My vision is totally corrected.) (AF 24/2.8 D, AF 50/1.8 second version, and AF 300/4. Barely noticeable with the N90s; slightly more apparent with the N8008s.

But here's the strange part. With my Tokina lenses, the cameras seem to be noticeably off target. The finder appears to be in focus when the electronic rangefinder/AF is indicating that it should actually be focused 1/2 cm or so closer to the film plane. When I get the confirmation dot, the focus is noticeably off by a touch. (Tokina AF 28-70/2.6-2.8II and MF 80-200/2.8.) Both cameras are off by a similar amount with the Tokinas.

I'm starting to wonder what is correct...the electronic rangefinder, the viewfinder, or neither. (Who knows, maybe they are both miscalibrated in opposite directions!)

Any ideas what is happening? I cannot see why this should happen with the Tokinas and not the Nikkors. I'm really stumped.

Any ideas?

-Al

Nikon user since 2000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focusing screen and electronic rangefinder do not a

G