Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

F90X - how to clean AF sensor

PrimozS

SI
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PrimozS Registered since 09th Aug 2011
Tue 30-Aug-11 10:21 AM

Hi,

recently I've purchased F90X body. Quite satisfied with it - except the AF can be fuzzy and can hunt and hunt and hunt and fail at the end.
As it was my first (vintage) SLR body - the first thought was - maybe that's just the way it is.

But a week ago I've had a chance to compares it with another F90X. Same batteries, same lens(es), same motiv - a very non-contrast macadam surface.

Mine - maybe 5-10% accurate and in rest 90-95% cases was hunting and hunting and hunting and at the end when "locked" the focus point was totaly out of focus.
The other F90X body - almost 100% dead spot on accurate and fast. Same as my D2X or D300s on same motiv.

OK, otherwise for e.g. portraits mine F90W works quite well. Sometimes you need to re-halfpress shutter button several times to get right focus ...

But nevertheless - now I see it's not "a general F90X body problem" but my particular body problem - so I guess the AF sensor might be dirty. I have no fear and problem to clean it. BUT - where is it? Under mirror? And in this case - due to non mirror lock function - how to get to it? Using 30sec exposure time?

thanks in advance
Primzo

G