Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Students first film SLR in this digital age?

jhande

US
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jhande Registered since 09th Dec 2008
Wed 10-Dec-08 02:15 PM

Since I am new to photography myself, I thought I'd post here looking for help and suggestions.

My 18 year old daughter just started a photography class in High School. She really likes my D300 but knows I can't afford to get her a digital outfit yet. Plus she said that she wouldn't mind starting off with a film SLR since she's learning those first in class.

Will she stick with photography? Maybe.
Will she really want more than a P & S? She says so.

Since I have a Nikon outfit, I figured I'd look for a Nikon for her. I started my research at my local Ritz Camera shop. One sales girl loves and uses her old N55. The manager loves his N90s but also suggested the F100. He didn't know anything about the N75, but said people weren't happy with the control layout on the N70. He did say that the N80 wouldn't be bad either from the specs.

I then researched on the internet every review I could find in the last couple of weeks. I thought at first about the N75, then decided maybe the N80 might be better. I turned away from the N90s and F100 due to a few bad/problem comments in some reviews. Not so much a factor, is I can find an N80 cheaper than either the N90s or F100.

I don't really want to spend too much on the body just in case she develops a few roles of film and decides she'd rather go digital right away. So I thought at least the lenses she could use on the N80 could also be used on whatever DSLR she'll get. Plus I don't want to get her some really old antique body. I'd like to get something kind of recently released.

Do you think my choice of an N80 is a good one?
Have I overlooked any other possibilties?
Would the N90s or F100 REALLY be a better choice?

Christmas is getting close and I don't want to get her the wrong thing. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, recommendations and comments.

TIA
Jim

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Students first film SLR in this digital age?

G