Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Off-brand lenses with N/F80

JustSomeGuy

Cary, US
82 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
JustSomeGuy Basic Member
Tue 10-Oct-00 10:50 PM

I bought an N80 a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with off-brand lenses.

12 years ago, when I had a lot less money in hand, I bought a second hand Nikon 4004 with store-brand zoom lenses (ProSpec (JCPenney department store, USA) 35-70 zoom and a 80-200 zoom). Both are working well in the 4004 body, but when attached to the N80, the N80 body gets completely confused. The metering circuitry seems to juggle wildly among f-stop and shutter settings. In addition, the 35-70 autofocuses remarkably slowly - even slower than in the lethargic 4004, if you can believe that.

I imagine it is due to off-brand out-of-spec lens circuitry desigin - my Nikkors (50mm 1.8, 70-300D ED zoom) are performing perfectly. Has anyone else had similar experiences with non-Nikkors in the N80?

- David

G