Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focusing bug and parts falling down!

mdudes

10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mdudes Basic Member
Wed 11-Oct-00 06:18 AM

I'm reproducing here the two appends that I posted to:

http://www.egroups.com/messages/NikonF80

under the subject: "The (in)famous focusing bug"

I think you may consider them interesting.Sorry for the length, but I think it's worth it:

Date: Mon Oct 9, 2000 1:21am
Subject: The (in)famous focusing bug

Well, the other day I took the plunge and went to buy the F80. Being very concerned about the reported problems, i.e. the camera failing to auto-focus at the long end or even failing to autofocus at all, I had a good test of it at the counter. I was interested in the 28-105 Nikkor zoom and tried this combo. I could focus perfectly in the 28 end but as soon as I turned it to 105, the camera's viewfinder presented a somewhat blurry image. Immediately I was disappointed but insisted, as this was my first attempt with this camera. Then I noticed that 'though I couldn't see the image clearly, the autofocus mark, or whatever you call the small green dot that lights up when the image is properly focused, was indeed on!. I calmed down and just a second before asking the salesguy to bring me another one I had an idea... perhaps it had something to say with the dioptric adjustment. The small slider was full up so I poked it down with my fingernail, looked into the finder and "voila", there was a perfectly focused
image!. For some reason, it was not so obvious in the "wide angle" end but was more than evident in the long end, specially in the low lighted shop.

Well, is this the solution to the focusing-bug "myth" of the F-80?. I don't think so, because I told the salesguy about my "discovery" and was more than interested and surprised, because he confessed me that some clients (this is the most popular shop here in Madrid, Spain) complained about the F-80 NOT FOCUSING AT ALL!.

Just wanted to let you know about it and don't panic at the counter as I did, just give the dioptric adjustment slider a try!

I bought the camera and so far I am more than satisfied with it. Hope the also infamous "joystick" don't fall down!

Date: Wed Oct 11, 2000 00:57am
Subject: Re: The (in)famous focusing bug

I'm quoting my own last append:

>
> I bought the camera and so far I am more than satisfied with it.
> Hope the also infamous "joystick" don't fall down!
>

Well guys, I lost a fantastic opportunity to shut up!... the thumbpad in my F80 just fell down yesterday without even touching it!

I couldn't believe how this is made! With the thumbpad in my hand I observed it carefully. The whole assembly is supported by a small piece of plastic, about 2mm long and 1mm diameter. This plastic piece takes the role of supporting and flexing! I'm not surprised that it broke, I'm very surprised that it could last two days without snapping off!

I took the camera back to the shop and while I was relating the experience to the salesguy and complaining about the design flaw and total lack of quality control of this very Nikon product, I had the feeling that the guy was hearing the same story for the n-th time.

He gave me a brand new F80 body, swapped the warranty cards and told me that I was not the first customer with this problem and gave me the advice that if this new body is also faulty, it should be better to send the camera back to Nikon service to get a proper repair instead of getting another new camera again. I think it makes sense because I bet that my new F80 body belongs to the same faulty batch than the broken one.

At this moment I'm very upset because I no longer trust my new Nikon. I don't know if there are any other serious flaws lying in there!

I'm not used to skimpy photographic material; my 15 years old Olympus OM-4 is still working like the very first day. What a great camera, by all means! Its spot metering system makes the F80's look like a joke.

But that's another story.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focusing bug and parts falling down!
          Reply message user error, again
               Reply message RE: NO user error, again
                    Reply message RE: NO user error, again
                         Reply message If it's not there, it can't go wrong,,,
                              Reply message RE: If it's not there, it can't go wrong,,,
                              Reply message lemon? Come on
                              Reply message RE: lemon? Come on
                                   Reply message Need NIKONIAN experience -
                                        Reply message RE: Need NIKONIAN experience -
                                        Reply message you missed it
                                        Reply message RE: you missed it
                                        Reply message RE: you missed it
                                             Reply message RE: In Need of NIKONIAN experience ...
                                             Reply message A bit touchy!
                                             Reply message RE: A bit touchy!
                                             Reply message thx, Scott
                                             Reply message RE: doubtful regarding disclosure
                                             Reply message Proof...
                                             Reply message RE: Proof...
                              Reply message RE: If it's not there, it can't go wrong,,,
Reply message RE: Rubber eyecup!

G