Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Autoexposure Lock and Matrix metering

N80

Rock Hill, US
8765 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
N80 Silver Member Charter Member
Wed 13-Dec-00 02:39 AM

I need some help understanding the interaction between autoexposure lock and matrix metering. My Magic Lantern guide suggests that you should not use exposure lock with matrix metering. I understand that matrix metering consults a database of images to match up with the image you have metered. So locking exposure and then recomposing would lead to a mismatch of the databased image and your newly recomposed image. However, isn't matrix metering more importantly just a pattern of variably weighted exposure areas with a higher weight somewhere around the center? If this is the case wouldn't it still be useful to get an exposure reading with your subject in the center, lock the exposure (and focus) and then recompose, thereby using the matrix metering as a sort of more subtle center-weighted metering? Is there potential benefit here over simply using center-weighted metering with exposure locking? How significant are the adjustments made to fstop and exposure time based on this database? Just doing a few quick experiments in the yard I have not noticed a huge difference in centerweghted readings and matrix readings. Am I overanalyzing this? Any suggestions on how to quantify this?

George

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

G