Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
solasola

7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
solasola Basic Member
Thu 21-Dec-00 11:12 PM

Why I chose N80

I started photography as a hobby in 1974. Now I am 60 years +. I had a Leica R6 SLR with about 5 lenses –(Stolen)
Olympus OM4 T with several (real metal) heavy lenses, OM1 (my first SLR). I travel a lot. Now I really can not carry a heavy camera, with age, the speed with which I can manually focus is slowing down.

Rather than opting for a point and shoot zoom with a slow aperture, I opted for Nikon N80.

It is light in weight does autofocus well, Great lenses. It is not a Leica or a Nikon F5-if stolen, I need not cry for a week, and being easyand light to carry -will not hurt my shoulders.

Purchasing photographic equipment is a compromise, Money and ones needs ability and requirements. Now IF lightweight and Medium price range is top priority. Nikon 80 nicely fits my needs.

So does SB 27 Flash. It is not heavy like SB 28, Made my Nikon, Got many feature though not all of the SB 28 great feautures. Easy to carry in my travels and it does not trip forward when worn with a neck strap.

Same purpose is served by my 28-105 D zoom and 1.4 D 50 mm Nikon lens (helps me in avoiding using flash).

So is the Battery- grip 16.Lithium cells are not easily available through out the world-AA cells are.

Photography is fun –capturing a precious moments and not lens resolution and MTF curves. Sure- Leica fixed focus lens are great-But my Nikon zoom and 1.4 are some what closer and make my life easier.

My suggestion whatever worth it is the color print films fade. My marriage album (1970) color prints faded. Store them on a better medium such as CD. Later when you have gray hair and arthritis you can still look at them and enjoy precious moments of the past.
With apologies for all tech wizards.

G