Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zone system questions . . .

AdamDetrick

US
34 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
AdamDetrick Basic Member
Wed 27-Dec-00 02:58 AM

I've been reading a lot of posts about this zone system, so I am reading up about it. This does bring up a very important question, though. Does the N80's spot meter work with the camera as something that one could use for the zone system? And how could you use it?

As far as I understand, you can use spot metering to select an area that you want to be Zone V - middle grey. But what if you use a flash? The N80's meter does behave like that, doesn't it? Finding what's needed to produce a middle grey?

I want to have more control over the picture than clumsily adjusting the shutter speed, aperature, or composition. Should I bother trying to learn this complicated (or at least it seems so now) system to create photographs that match the images in my mind, or should i just stick with matrix metering right now and hope that it comes out right?

The reason i purchased my N80 was because i felt limited by my old equipment - now i'm feeling limited by my knowledge (lack of). Any advice or help you could give me would be great.

G