Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Non-AI compatibility question with AF bodies

Zip

US
15 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zip Basic Member
Thu 07-Nov-02 01:35 AM

have a question regarding non-AI lenses & AF bodies

I have an opportunity to purchase a Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 macro (a lens which I used to use in my pre-Nikon days and was quite impressed with) in a Nikon mount (but non-AI). I plan to use it with an N90 & F100 (and maybe next year an FM3a). I understand that, of course, AF is not part of this lens, and have looked through some of the archives saying non-AI'd lenses are not compatible, but was curious as to why? Do I simply lose metering capability (having to stop down to meter) or are there other mechanical issues involved?

I sent a note to someone who was mentioned in the archives as doing AI conversions, just wondering if this is opening a can of worms, or if I should hold off till spring and maybe get a 105 micro-nikkor. The 90 was a sweet lens though, has anyone had good luck with converted non-AI lenses on newer AF bodies?

Thanks all for the input, great source of info this place!

G