Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

FM2n strange meter problem

rectangularimage

San Diego, US
1166 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rectangularimage Registered since 01st Oct 2009
Mon 22-Apr-13 10:21 PM

Hi Yawl,

My neighbor gave me an FM2n that was sitting in his garage. It's in pretty decent shape but there's a problem with the meter. (I put in new batteries, so that's not an issue.)

First, the meter reads way way way under, like an LV 6 stops under. And it takes a large change in light to make it change, for instance get it to read as a good exposure (by setting ISO to 6400, etc.) on a bright seen then I have to almost cover the lens completely to get it to read under as underexposed. And it's very hard to get it to read for correct exposure, it jumps from overexposed to underexposed reading and requires careful adjustment of the scene brightness to get the "o" to light up.

Changes to the controls, shutter speed, aperture or ISO effect the readout immediately and have the normal responsiveness.

My (uneducated) guess is that something like a piece of foam has lodged right in front of the light meter, where ever that is.

Any clues anyone?

Thanks,
Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: FM2n strange meter problem