Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon F name plate too big?

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US
1696 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007
Tue 20-Nov-12 12:27 AM | edited Tue 20-Nov-12 12:42 AM by snegron

Do Nikon F name plates come in different sizes (heights and edge finishes)? For some time now I have had a nagging little issue with the FTN Photomic metered prism finder of my F. While it attaches well on the body, I have noticed that there is a slight gap toward the front of the finder. The finder seems to snap on flush with the body from back to front, but the small area that extends a few millimeters in front of the body seems to have a gap. It is as if the name plate of the body was too tall and is causing the front of the prism to not be flush with the body.

I checked the prism. It had two small screws at the corners of the front edge of the prism mirror. I tightened the screws as I thought that they were the culprit (they looked like they would be the only contact between the prism and the top end of the name plate), but that did not help much. I still see that gap.

Also, the two little clamps located at the bottom of the prism seem to extend slightly forward when attached to the body; almost as if the name plate was too thick.

When I attach a pronged lens I notice that the aperture ring seems to stall slightly when turned toward the middle (at f5.6). Could this all be related to a face plate that might be too tall?

The only info I have found out so far is that I might have a type 2g name plate as the bottom corners seem to be a bit rounded. On the other hand, the top edges of my name plate look very sharp/angular compared to the bottom edges.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon F name plate too big?

G