Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon F3 - 1/2000 bounce?

jpfisher

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jpfisher Registered since 13th Aug 2012
Tue 28-Aug-12 05:44 PM

Hey all,

I've recently decided that I want a Nikon F3. Have admired the camera from afar for some time, and wanted a good SLR to shoot alongside my rangefinders.

I bought a BGN body from KEH because, what the heck--they've got a great return policy. The body has some noticeable denting on the curtain. Ran a test roll through and found that I was getting less than half frames when shooting at 1/2000 displayed in the finder, a spattering of completely blank frame, and some partial frame coverage at 1/1000. Needless to say it's going back.

Picked up another body last night at Adorama and ran a quick roll through to check the high speeds. Everything is fine at 1/1000, but once again I'm seeing partial frame coverage at 1/2000. It's more pronounced in "A" mode; setting it to 1/2000 manually and firing has just the right side of the frame dim.

Will a CLA remedy this? This one is in pretty nice shape otherwise, and I got it for around $100, so I could see putting the money into it to keep it long term.

This is complicated by my about to leave for a vacation--am planning on taking the camera with me and keeping the shutter to 1/500 or below to be safe (honestly, I'm usually not shooting anything that would require anything faster than 1/125--I'll just have to throw a couple of NDs into my bag and remember to load low speed film when I can--usually try for Ektar 100 for color, but I do use HP5 400 quite a bit for black and white).

Anyone else experience similar behavior with the F3? My other film bodies top out at 1/1000 or 1/500, but I did like the idea of having something with a faster shutter.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Fisher
http://www.daguerreotyping.com
http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/digital-cameras

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon F3 - 1/2000 bounce?

G