Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

5 Best Nikons bodies

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
chris5201

Boston, US
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chris5201 Registered since 08th Mar 2004
Fri 02-Aug-02 12:22 PM

I though this would be an interesting debate. List what you think are the top five Nikon bodies of all time. Please give supporting reasons and let’s keep it civil. Here’s mine:

#5- SP- Nikons best rangefinder. Unfortunately, I’ve never shot with one but have handled one in a store for about 2 minutes. Maybe I’m not qualified to judge, but I’ve always loved the looks and feel of the SP. Anybody selling one cheap?

#4- F4 – The all time greatest interface on a AF camera. This might have been the last Nikon designed without an accountant at the drawing board. It’s many switches and buttons allow for quick changes without the need to ever look at a manual. Unfortunately, an LED interface with a few buttons is much cheaper to manufacture so it is not likely we will ever see something like it again.

The interchangeable winder system, Nikon’s best , is also a great part of this camera.

While I love the F4, it’s AF system is slightly immature. There are many situations when it is much better as a MF camera, otherwise it would be in the top three (you could say the same thing for most AF bodies IMO).

#3- F3 – The most capable MF body Nikon made. The F3 can do it all and do it forever. It has the feel and features of a true professional camera and is a delight to use. Just using the film advance is satisfying. For 95% of situations this is all the camera anyone will ever need.

#2- FM2 – This may strike some as an odd choice. I rank this so high because it is just about a perfect design (note I didn’t say sophisticated). On most Nikons, you can find something that could have been better (like the tiny light button on the F3 or the AF speed on the F4) but the FM2 is free from such annoyances. It is rugged, inexpensive, light weight, has a good, simple meter and will last for ever. While Nikon has made more feature laden cameras, it hasn’t made any more perfect.

#1- F – I had to rank the most important Nikon as the best. This is the second most important 35mm camera of all time (after the Leica A). This camera established what a 35mm SLR should be and the basic layout hasn’t changed that much. On top of that, the Nikon F is still capable of taking great pictures.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 5 Best Nikons bodies