Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Where did you order your D800?

dgs2

San Francisco, US
711 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004
Thu 09-Feb-12 09:26 PM

This post is really about online vendors, not specifically the D800. I want to pre-order one and would like Nikonians experience. If I plunk down $3,000 for a D800, I hope it would be packed with care to resist the shipping gorillas. I just went to UPS this morning to return an LED light that arrived in two pieces when it should have been one piece. The vendor didn't even protect it with a single layer of bubble wrap, just put it in an envelope. In 2009, I ordered a D700. It arrived in a double box, but the outer box was about 1mm bigger than the Nikon box, so it offered little protection. The package that arrived was pushed in from the corner about 3 inches. $2500 is a lot of money to me, so I just returned the camera and kept shooting my D200. I've had bad experiences with expensive merchandise ordered from all three of the online camera vendors. So I'm just asking for your experiences and, if you order the D800, who would YOU trust to get it to you undamaged. Given the demand for the camera, I expect it will be hard to get another if for some reason your order is damaged in transit. I keep cameras for a long time, and really this may be the last "big" Nikon I ever buy, so I want to get a nice sample that hasn't been knocked around. (I know I could buy locally, but I'm already stretching for the D800 and sales taxes where I live are almost 10%.)

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Where did you order your D800?

G