Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to Nikon

davidahn

San Diego (Bonita), US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
davidahn Registered since 10th Apr 2013
Wed 10-Apr-13 09:11 AM

Howdy, all. I dumped my Canon 5D Mark II a few months ago along with most of my Canon glass once I read the reviews of the Nikon D800 and D800E. To be honest, I was already disgusted with the 5DII's overhyped high ISO performance, because I found that even at ISO 100-400, shadow areas have very low SNR (signal to strength ratio) and any brightening of those areas bring out horrible chroma noise. I even sent my 5DII in for repair because I thought there was something wrong with my copy, but they said it was peforming to spec. Fred Miranda's D800 review showed this issue even in the 5DIII, and DxO's sensor scores verify Nikon's superiority not just in megapixel count but also in high ISO, dynamic range... Slam dunk Nikon.

So I should get my D800E this Friday... I can't wait! I also bought the following lenses:

Sigma 35 f1.4
Sigma 85 f1.4
Rokinon 14 f2.8

Hope to try some long exposure photography and macro photography with a mid price, high quality Photo Clam 8x CF tripod and ball head and a Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro lens next.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New to Nikon

G