Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself... Victoria, BC

Thorney

Victoria, CA
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Thorney Registered since 09th Dec 2012
Fri 25-Jan-13 02:53 AM | edited Fri 25-Jan-13 03:33 AM by Thorney

Hi Everyone! I am glad to be a new Nikonian and also to be the owner of a new D800. I also have a D200 and recently picked up a beautiful F4 for a song. I have been photographing seriously since I was eleven years old in 1973 when I was gifted with a Canon (pardon my French) FTb. About the coolest thing parents could give a kid in 1973. I began darkroom work at that time. I am a graduate of Emily Carr College of Art and Design (1987) and have a BFA in photography. Over the years I have shown in galleries and also worked commercially as well as my own artistic work. Since beginning to work with a DSLR in 2006 I have been doing some night photography - The photo uploaded here, for example, 63seconds f/16 @ iso 100 on my D200 with Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 @ 18mm (27mm on FX). I call it 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies' because that's the music I hear in my head when I look at the image. DSLRs totally rock for night work! My advice, put it at 100iso and LE noise reduction and then try f/16 at a minute, two minutes, and four minutes. This eats batteries so I use the MB-D200 grip. Things don't always look great on the camera screen but come to life in post production.

I like to work in both monochrome and colour. I also have Contax, Bronica, Shen-Hao, and Ansco (8x10) film cameras. I have used Nikkor large format and enlarging lenses in addition to DSLR glass. I also have owned and used Schneider, Zeiss, Rodenstock, Goerz, and Wollensack view camera lenses. I haven't had the pleasure of using Fuji large or medium format glass but have wanted too. I quite enjoy using my Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 and also Tokina 100mm f/2.8 as well as my Nikkors on the D800.

I do like my primes and don't mind manual focus - put a DK-17M eyepiece on the D800 and this is very helpful. I fully intend to strap my Bronica Zenzanon lenses on the DSLR and will keep my fellow Nikonians up to date on that. Too bad that I have the wrong Zeiss T* lenses for Nikon adaptation as I would definitely give them a whirl.

I am located in one of the few places on Earth that is North, South, East, and West of the USA - that is Victoria BC in Canada. I would love to connect with any local Nikonians.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

In the Divine Light,
Thorney

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself... Victoria,...

G