Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 13-May-12 02:47 PM

I typically like using Shadow Protection in View NX2, but sometimes see artifacts or halos that can be a problem. As a result, I'm using a lot of care in evaluating the right and wrong images for Shadow Protection.

Here is an example of what I mean. On this image I want to lighten the shadows. A quick adjustment in View NX2 looked fine, but when I got into Capture NX2 for a more detailed edit I saw some areas of the sky were incorrectly lightened. The uneven lightening of the sky is a significant problem and ultimately meant I had to remove all Shadow Protection.

Click on image to view larger version

Here is an example of where the problem areas are showing up. In this version I have exaggerated the settings to extreme levels to make the problem obvious. I set Shadow Protection at 100, Contrast at 100, and Brightness at -50. My normal settings would be much lighter - even with no Contrast or brightness adjustments and Shadow Protection at 10, I saw the halos.

Click on image to view larger version

This is not unique to Shadow Protection. Any image with fine detail has the potential for globally applied adjustments to spill over to adjoining areas. Even with selective adjustments, there is potential for a spillover effect, so you may need to remove the effect completely rather than allow the "feathering" built into the software. What this means is I may use minus selection or neutral control points to eliminate spillover in Capture, but you do not have that latitude in View where all adjustments are applied globally.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G