Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Capture NX2 vs. Photoshop with Nik Software Suite

pwarbeck

Tucson AZ, US
254 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pwarbeck Registered since 25th May 2009
Fri 22-Oct-10 01:56 PM

I know this subject has been discussed many times in different threads, so I apologize if I'm being redundant.

When I first got my Nikon DSLR, I didn't have a lot of money left over, so I was using open source software: ufraw for raw developing and GIMP for most everything else. Later, I migrated to NX2, which does most of what I need, and does it a lot better. I am particularly happy with NX2's raw developer, which blows away ufraw. I also adopted a "NEF-centric" workflow: keeping multiple versions in the NEF and exporting a single jpeg from each version.

Unfortunately, there are features missing from NX2, which I had in GIMP, like perspective correction, so occasionally I will output a tiff from NX2, correct it in GIMP, and let GIMP make the jpeg. The same goes for HDR: I send tiffs from NX2 to Photomatix and let Photomatix create a tiff, which I usually send back into NX2, wrapping it as a new NEF.

I have read many posts in this forum about the Nik software suite and wondering how I would integrate it into my workflow. I downloaded a trial version of Photoshop (actually, Elements 9) and a trial version of the full Nik Software suite.

When I opened my first NEF in PS (the NEF had been developed and tweaked in NX2), up popped something called Camera Raw, and I could see that it was using the original version of the RAW file. I realized that Camera Raw is Photoshop's alternative to the Develop section of NX2's Edit list. But where are the Camera Controls? Am I taking a step backward with a dumbed down raw processor that doesn't understand my camera? Is the solution to send a tiff from NX2 to PSE, bypassing Camera Raw and going directly into Edit? Ugh.

Next, I played with the Nik tools and filters. I noticed a high degree of redundancy with what I can already do in NX2. Yes, there are some nice additions, but are there enough to justify the high cost, and the abandonment of NEF-centric workflow (replacing it with a PSD-centric workflow)?

Here is my questions: Should PS + Nik Software suite (or maybe Lightroom + Nik Software suite) be regarded as an ALTERNATIVE to NX2? Is that how Nik is positioning the product?

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 vs. Photoshop with Nik Software Suite

G