May I ask, what I think may be an old question, in a different way as the problem is driving me mad.
Nikon Capture NX2 (using free trial at the moment)
HP laptop 4 GB RAM
Win 7 64 bit.
No other SW involved I use only Capture NX. All images will have that embedded no PS/elements involved.
Usually there is no problem at all for my simple needs, I transfer NEF to a seperate HD & open them as required with Cap NX2.
Suddenly have a problem with Metadata keywords (everything else is fine) If I click apply to add keywords a message says 'unable to save file'
I have cleared the cache,
Removed the HD with all my photo files on it so there are no images on the PC - no effect same fault (when I try to add keywords to a single image imported onto desktop).
I have tried TIFFs JPEGs from NEFs of D50,D200,D700 and even jpg from a compact camera.
Have also tried changing just about everything in the preferences menu to do with caching etc.
Note I can still process files and save as whatever I want, it is only the keywording thats a problem.
I dont do anything more complicated, no batch editing etc usually just add the keywords to a TIFF & a jpg together or individually.
Thanks for looking
Visit my Nikonians gallery.
#1. "RE: NX2 keywords" | In response to Reply # 0jimsanders Nikonian since 25th Mar 2008Thu 30-Sep-10 12:04 PM
Try this method. It is adapted from an idea described in Mike Hagen's book, Capture NX 2 After the Shoot.
1. Open Capture NX 2.
2. From the pull-down menus at the top of the screen, open Edit -> Preferences -> XMP/IPTC Presets
3. Click the New button.
4. Type a name for your new template, such as 2010 Vacation.
5. Deselect the Description, Contact, Content, Origin, and Categories check boxes.
6. Type your keywords in the Keywords box (one at a time) then click the Add button. Do this for each keyword.
7. Click OK when all your keywords are entered.
Now you have a template that can be used to add keywords to your images. To apply the template, follow these steps:
1. Open the NX 2 browser.
2. Select the images in the folder you want the keywords applied to. If you want all images in the folder selected, press Ctrl A.
3. Click the gear icon in the lower left corner of the browser & choose Load XMP/IPTC Preset -> 2010 Vacation.
That should do it. This batch process can save a lot of time instead of entering the same information to each image. This also works great for Copyright and Contact information.
Hopefully it will work for you.
#2. "RE: NX2 keywords" | In response to Reply # 1Thu 30-Sep-10 02:12 PM
Many thanks, I will certainly be using your method.
In the meantime I may have stumbled on the answer, at least all is well at present having -
Looked at the Nikon Capture NX2 .cfg file using notepad I found that the system had created many duplicates of my keywords, I dont pretend to know why this happened or how long a keyword list can be but having tidied it up and deleted words as required including a few mistakes and misspellings everything is working again ?
Perhaps its a case of occasional housekeeping with the config file ?
Visit my Nikonians gallery.