Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ithompson72

Chichester, UK
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ithompson72 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2008
Tue 31-Aug-10 10:13 AM

Hi all,

I am using capture nx2 (not the latest version as I understand there have been some issues with windows 7) and wanted to ask if something is possible - if it isn't then I will switch to PSE for this task. Mostly I just use NX2 to do the post processing for RAW images - haven't tried anything particularly fancy with it.

OK, time to get to the point. I have a black and white photo that I really like but it was on a very bright day and the sky is a little too bright and blown out. What I need to do is just darken the sky without affecting the rest of the image. I had a look at the selection tools but there is some complexity (a boat mast, some trees, etc) that makes it difficult to precisely select the area. Is there some easy way to select an irregular area? Is the software up to doing this? Would PSE be better anyway?

Sorry, so many questions.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX 2
Reply | Quote | Alert
  • TiggerGTO

Apex, US
    2258 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#8. "RE: Capture NX 2" | In response to Reply # 0

TiggerGTO Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006
    Tue 31-Aug-10 08:29 PM

Here's my second attempt. I used the Tonal Contrast filter in Nik Color Efex Pro without adjusting any of the sliders. I then added a gradient selection to make it apply only to the sky; although I think it might have helped enhance detail in the bottom part of the image too. Then I applied a B/W Conversion step and did some minor tweaks on the brightness. Resized and uploaded. Total edit time was about 2-3 minutes.

Click on image to view larger version

Danny
    A Nikonian in North Carolina

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

• G