Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Tue 29-Dec-09 03:05 PM

Has anyone advice or done any tests - is it faster to set "Cache files created in a Capture NX 2 batch process" on or off?

Intuitively I have always had this set to ON, but why and is it really helping? I occasionally process 200-300 NEF into jpeg in one go (resizing, applying some final output sharpening, and switching to sRGB), so I would of course want the batch to complete as quickly as possible.

I understand that "Cache files saved within the Editor" is advantageous and always have that option ON as well, but I don't have any hard information on what if anything this option is doing for me in BATCH mode and what effect "cache limit size" has on any of this?

The other thing is - why does it leave a residue out there in the cache directory - is that only advantageous if i do SUBSEQUENT edits to these images? In my case, big batches are (normally) done merely to create final jpegs, so I don't do any subsequent edits, in which case maybe I am better off with this option turned off?

I already have the cache placed on a secondary drive separate from my main drive for images, so my question is not really about that aspect.

Hopefully the answer here will help many (if we can find it), Thanks again, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: NX2 batch cache file setting ?

G