Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
PAStime

Kingston, CA
2823 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009
Thu 05-Aug-10 02:20 PM | edited Thu 05-Aug-10 02:32 PM by PAStime

Hello,

I just sorted through 2500 raw images from a shoot, reducing the set to 750 and then processed each for web posting and printing. I am currently using ACDSee Pro for managing my collection, and sending raw files to Capture NX2 for edits. Here are some ways I made use of Capture NX2 (which I really like as a tool) go faster:

- Do spend a few minutes learning keyboard shortcuts in your most commonly used tools. These can really speed up operations.
- Do completely exit and restart tools on occasion. This helps reset memory pointers and remove sluggishness from memory leaks.
- I find most of my wait time in NX2 is for the raw file to save to disk at the end of my edits. I use control-w in NX2 to close the edit window. It always prompts "do you want to save?" I hit "y", and then alt-tab (Windows, not Mac) to go back to ACDSee. That way, without me having to wait, NX2 will save and the file and close the edit window in the background while I do productive stuff in ACDSee.
- I found NX2 to not be any slower if you have many images open at once. But I did find in some situations that a lot of my time was spent going back and forth between ACDSee and NX2, waiting for file loads, etc. So in ACDSee, I would select 10 or so images and alt-x to send them all at once to NX2. They would load pretty quickly. I'd then make edits to them one at a time, perhaps reusing settings across similar images. Closing them in this fashion however is a bit tedious - you have to exit one at a time and wait for each.
- Absolutely use NX2 .set files to speed up commonly used sharpening, colour profile changes, white balance changes, etc.
- If you edit the first of say 5 similar shots in NX2 and make, for example, a white balance adjustment to this image, consider right-clicking on the white balance box in the adjustment pane and selecting "copy adjustments". Then, after you close this image and open the next, that setting is in your "clipboard" and you can right click in the adjustment pane and paste the setting.
- My last step in NX2 is to bring up the browser view (alt-1), select all of the images, and apply a batch .set of converting from Adobe RGB to sRGB. It is at this point that I instruct the batch job to save the results as jpg, not NEFs. A resize and output sharpening can be applied here, too. This is a convenient way to save raw to jpg conversion until the end, and do it as one big batch job. 750 take an hour or more. Go get a coffee.
- I have a hunch that NX2 is a tad slower if one enables the cache. This is true when editing each image only once - there is no use for keeping a cached version for future edits. Not sure about this. In any case, I disabled the cache in the Preference dialog.
- Although it is taxing on resources, I keep all NX2 adjustment pane edits visible so I can see the results live. What you can do however is "mouse ahead" in NX2. Go ahead and move sliders and make additional adjustments even when NX2 is "thinking" (the timer thing is spinning). NX2 will catch up to you and work on the adjustments in the background, displaying the final result when all done.

Hope this helps. I'm interested in similar ideas!

Peter

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2