Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Martiemart

UK
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Martiemart Registered since 02nd Jul 2010
Thu 22-Jul-10 10:11 AM

I am confused; why when I view a RAW (Nef) photo in ViewNx is the image perfectly sharp in full screen mode (say about 40% actual image size), yet when I convert the same image as a TIFF or JPG (excellent quality mode and full image size; pixel height=2832 & width=4256 for example) and view in either mac or windows default image viewer full screen mode does their appear to be an "apparent" noticable lack of sharpness? To a certain extent, although not quite as bad, there is also a lack of sharpness when viewing the exported file in Photoshop. Now, what I have realised is that the default viewers (mac and windows) scale the photo to fit and that is what appears to be the cause of the apparent lack in sharpness, yet ViewNX is also scaling the photo but maintains perfect sharpness. If I convert the RAW file from ViewNX as either a TIFF or JPG but change the image export size using the pixel options (say pixel height of 1300 and width of 2000) so that the "scale to fit" size is approximately equivalent to the 100% view to fit my monitor size (24") the sharpness is maintained. I suppose my question is why are the default viewers in mac and windows unable to maintain a sharp photo view when scaling an excellent quality image. I am only really concerned about this issue for two reasons; firstly I like to take pictures for other people and give them the photos to view on their computers. I would like the images to appear as sharp as possible. Now if I export the full size image from ViewNX when other people view the photos (most likely using the default viewers in either mac or windows with scaling applied to fit their monitor) they will not get to appreciate the sharpness of the photos. Secondly, as of yet I have not printed my digital photos but was wondering if the sharpness would be "lost" if a full size TIFF or JPG image was reduced to a 6"x4" print size? Would I need to adjust my pixel dimensions for the size of print I am wanting?
Apologies for the lengthy post, I am new to digital photography and finding that there is a lot to learn.
Thanks Martin

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Viewing Converted RAW (Nef) files

G