Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What is wrong? Problem with Capture NX and NX2?

piniongear

Houston Texas, US
466 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006
Sat 29-May-10 09:58 PM

I have discovered a problem and need some help.
I am running Windows 7 on my PC. That is on one hard drive and this drive also has Nikon Capture NX2 on it.
I have NEF files saved that were taken with my D200, D300s, and D700.
If I am in Win 7 and open a NEF file using NX2, I can change and save photos with no problem.

In the same computer I have another hard drive running XP. That hard drive has Nikon NX on it.
XP has the older photos of course taken with my D200 and old D70s.
If I am in XP and open a NEF file (stored under XP) with NX all features work and I can change and save a photo.

My intent is to wipe the XP hard drive clean in the near future and use this drive for additional storage, but before doing so I need to transfer all of the photos over to the Win 7 drive.
I expect no problem doing that with a flash drive.

Now for the problem:
Thinking about this I decided to open a NEF file stored on XP.
I opened this NEF on Win 7 using NX2.
I can change the NEF in any way I want but when I try to save it I get the following message...... 'error 39...Cannot save file.'

This made me remember that in the days when I only had NX, after I got my D700 I found that it would not open NEF files taken with that camera. Ditto for the D300s.
I had to purchase NX2 to be able to edit those. That's fine, it was well worth the cost of the upgrade.

Can someone tell me what is the problem?
Is it something to do with NX versus NX2, or is it something with the two operating systems having a disagreement, for lack of a better term?
Is a file saved under NX for some reason is not able to be saved in NX2? This has me baffled.
Thanks to anyone who has some knowledge to offer on this. I sure want to save and transfer those older pics to the Win 7 drive.
Perry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What is wrong? Problem with Capture NX and NX2?

G