Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
sirraj

Minneapolis, US
200 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sirraj Registered since 29th Oct 2005
Wed 26-Mar-14 02:03 PM

I have used Capture NX2 for all of my RAW file processing for many years and I have always been very happy with it. I have never found it to be cumbersome or slow. I have tried Lightroom before, but never really felt comfortable with it. I especially didn't like the way Lightroom handled files (side-car files or the database). But after the NX-D announcement I decided that I needed to seriously try and learn annother RAW conversion program, so I chose Lightroom 5. After a few weeks I have found that I can pretty much do anything I did in NX2 in Lightroom. LR does some things much better . I have found that the lens corrections in LR are much better than NX2. I also find it much easier to copy the edits from one file to another. I don't really like the catalog in LR, but I am adjusting to it. I don't use any of the organizational tools such as sorting, ranking, emailing, books, etc., so I cant't comment on that part of the program. I really miss the color control points in NX2, but something similar can be done in LR with selections, just not as easily. I tried the NIK plug-ins in LR, but I don't want to screw around with multiple TIFF files which I find to be incredibly cumbersome. I was absolutely amazed at the awful way those plug-ins work. I wouldn't even consider buying anything so clunky. I find the LR crop tool to be completely backwards, moving the photo and not the crop area is really hard for me to get used to.

Over all, I find it takes me a little longer to get the photos looking like they did in NX2, but I eventually get there. My only concern is that, in the future, Adobe will require a subscription to use Lightroom. I have no interest in paying a monthly fee to use their software. If that happens, I will find another program to use.

So for those of you like me, who hate the idea of moving to Lightroom from NX2, I can tell you that it is not as bad as I expected and I am really starting to enjoy using Lightroom.

Sirraj

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 to LR