Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is Focus and Recompose a reality?

lovemy8514

Columbia, US
2419 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Is Focus and Recompose a reality?"

lovemy8514 Registered since 05th Oct 2007
Thu 27-Sep-12 09:26 PM | edited Thu 27-Sep-12 09:28 PM by lovemy8514

I'm currently a D300 user, and for a few specific reasons I'm considering moving to the D600. The improved ISO performance, dynamic range, resolution, video and the fact that I have FX lenses already is pushing me there. The only concern going from the D300 is the relatively tight grouping of focus points on the D600.

I keep reading about having to focus and then recompose, which obviously introduces some forus error, especially at large apertures with thin DOF.

I rarely have to focus and recompose on my D300 with 51 points and the DX sensor, and this is the root of my concern. I will be taking a lot of portraits of my children as well as friends and other family members.

Is it as bad as the Internet makes it sound? I haven't read that this is an issue with the D800, and there are only 12 extra points over the D600. Are 12 more points enough to make this a non-issue on the D800?

It's probably too early to get a lot of feedback on this issue, but wanted to at least ask. Thanks for any input!

Edit: After posting, I see a similar post alreaqdy exists under an alternative title. Moderators, if you can delete this thread feel free.

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Is Focus and Recompose a reality? [View all] , lovemy8514 , Thu 27-Sep-12 07:26 PM