Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 recommended settings

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 recommended settings"

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Fri 28-Sep-12 06:48 AM | edited Fri 28-Sep-12 07:00 AM by jpFoto

Roger

Those are pretty radical changes for the average photographer. Obviously, they work for you, but I would caution the novice that they aren't for everyone. In particular:

1. I agree with your choice of size and quality jpegs. Certainly no one can argue with those settings as a starting point.

2. If you are shooting jpeg only then your picture control change is fine, but if you are shooting RAW + Jpeg or just RAW you can make your changes in post processing.

3. I like the ISO Sensitivity at 100 and Auto ISO On with a Max sensitivity of 6400, but a minimum shutter speed of 800 is too high for many of us since it will force the camera to increase the ISO before it lowers the shutter speed. Depending upon the subject matter and scene type, I would most likely prefer my photographs taken at 1/200 using ISO 800 than 1/800 using ISO 3200. Given the same aperture, that's what will happen with Roger's settings. I have mine set for 1/125. That being said, it probably works for Roger since he primarily shoots fast action sporting events. And, you have to take into consideration the maximum focal length of your lens. Longer lenses require faster shutter speeds for quality shots.

4. Again, the choice of AF-C is fine, but AF-S might be better for many. If you are taking portraits and would like to focus and recompose without using your AE-L/AF-L button, AF-S is faster and easier.

5. Spot metering? It's definitely not for the average guy or gal. Leave it on matrix and change it when you need to.

There is not an easy or black and white answer to your question. My needs are different than Roger's and yours may be different than ours.

jP

A general, generic topic D600 recommended settings [View all] , bill_enh , Thu 27-Sep-12 01:46 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 recommended settings