Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Single focus point v. 39 focus points

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Single focus point v. 39 focus points"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Sun 23-Sep-12 09:00 AM

I think there are 3 great mysteries in the modern age:

1. The nature of dark matter, if that is what it really is

2. The nature of dark energy, if that is what it really is

3. The nature of autofocus error reports: equipment failure or user failure?

- -

As you point out, the issue of giving a focus point (or a cluster of points) two targets at different distances is also a very complex issue. My D2h would consistently and repeatedly pick the background target, which was the biggest problem I had with that camera.

The problem was compounded because the sensors were very widely spaced and it was well known and easily proven that the actual AF sensor extended far beyond the small viewfinder reticle outlines. If you gave it one unambiguous target it was absolutely state of the art.

My D200 improved on that particular issue, although it was generally not in the same league in terms of tracking fast moving targets, and I found that the D300/700 improved things further, but it may also have been simply the benefit of more and smaller AF sensors. And with those cameras (300/700) I never found that the AF sensors extended very far, if at all, from the reticle outlines.

And the 51 pt AF viewfinder reticle positions are packed so tightly that if it did extend beyond the reticle then it would arguably be "sensor bleed" where the adjacent sensor was used. In other words... is it possible for two adjacent sensors to be reading the same area, and if not then it would be impossible for the sensor to extend beyond the indicated reticle outline.

I think you are taking the correct approach- methodically studying the results and not assuming that any deviation from your expectations are some sort of "failure".

The most interesting aspect of the D600 (to me) is the new f/8 specification. It implies that even at wider apertures the AF engine should be more responsive to difficult targets- dark targets and low contrast targets. But that is just a hunch.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Single focus point v. 39 focus points [View all] , EYeye Silver Member , Sat 22-Sep-12 02:50 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Single focus point v. 39 focus points