Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Single focus point v. 39 focus points

EYeye

FORT WORTH, US
405 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Single focus point v. 39 focus points"

EYeye Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2012
Sun 23-Sep-12 02:43 AM

Sincere thanks to both of you for taking my question seriously and giving thoughtful and helpful answers.

It happens that my D80 always focused "well", in that I did not experience either the front or rear focus issues I have read about a good deal reference the D7000. I could track Osprey and Eagles in flight with the "wide" single center focus point. Woodpeckers & flickers were more difficult. Landscapes of course, not an issue, as were whales in the ocean.

I wish I could get this site to allow me to post my D600 "real world test shots", where I went out in various lighting situations and played with the focus points, the ISO, and aperture settings similar to my film days. I saw "rear focus" in flowers, where the camera picked a petal or stem "behind" the bloom I had "put" the focus point.

From your posts I now wonder if many of those complaining of rear (and front) focus were experiencing instead the focus points being "wider" than the target, as you have explained.

BTW: I am VERY pleased so far with my D600 in FX mode, and also with DX shooting the 16-85mm 3.5/4.5 VR. The MP is even a bit better than D80 as is dynamic range and low light capabilities, in both DX and FX.

EYeye

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Single focus point v. 39 focus points [View all] , EYeye Silver Member , Sat 22-Sep-12 02:50 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Single focus point v. 39 focus points