Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Single focus point v. 39 focus points

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Single focus point v. 39 focus points"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Sat 22-Sep-12 04:34 PM

In focus tracking, the newer cameras use info from the color matrix meter to determine if the subject has moved off your chosen focus point and can switch to a different AF point to continue accurate tracking. For fast moving action with high magnification i.e. birds in flight, this can be a tremendous advantage.

On the 51-point cameras I use this in a limited fashion (9-point or 21-point) since I have had situations where I panned with a bird launching off a perch, and in review, the AF point followed the perch off the edge of the frame as I panned. Remarkable tech, but of course not what I wanted. Limiting the number of active focus points lets the camera know, yes the think near the middle of the frame is where I want you focusing.

In landscape shooting, portraits, or anything where my subject is stationary, then absolutely I use single-point AF. In this case, the only thing the additional AF points buy you is you can choose one off-center if that's where your subject is, and then you don't need to focus-and-recompose as much. This doesn't matter so much if working from a tripod, where you should use LiveView for contrast detect AF anyway and that's not tied to the AF points.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic Single focus point v. 39 focus points [View all] , EYeye Silver Member , Sat 22-Sep-12 02:50 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Single focus point v. 39 focus points