Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
tfeazel

Polk City, US
992 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: SAVE/LOAD SETTINGS"

tfeazel Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004
Fri 09-Aug-13 09:59 PM | edited Fri 09-Aug-13 10:06 PM by tfeazel

Glad you got the settings loaded.

I had my settings set similarly to Ken Rockwell's recommendations; I arrived at them independently of him and didn't know about his (KR's) until your post got me to check. I had that set of settings saved in U1, and have softened it for U2, which is also my HDR setup. I'll use both the U settings for exterior shots in daylight, which is 90% of my shooting, and start with the default for everything else.

Ken's column today talks about the fact that he's a film shooter, which I was until about 2003, and that his tastes were formed with film.
Mine were,too, and I produced my own photos in B%W until the early 90's.
Contrast was hard to control, and even with variable contrast paper, it required many a redo of important prints to get it right.
I tend to shoot contrastier than I want to see in the final, and KR's settings indicate his preference for the same.

We trained our eye (mental) to see darks blocking up with film, now the whites block up with digital. This makes us expose and develop differently between the two media, with overexposure of film, and underexposure of digital.

I'm not defending KR (he has proved himself capable of that), but I think that a reminder of the chemical ooze from which we emerged is in order.
It's not that old habits die hard, it's that they never die.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic SAVE/LOAD SETTINGS [View all] , grich Silver Member , Mon 05-Aug-13 09:40 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SAVE/LOAD SETTINGS