Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone buy a D600 in May/June?

lajolla

LaJolla, US
388 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Anyone buy a D600 in May/June?"

lajolla Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2005
Fri 21-Jun-13 11:53 PM

I believe in the maxim - trust, but verify. So far so good after a thousand clicks (mostly of blue skies and white walls to verify the internal dust/shutter issues). I prefer to shoot dust tests here in southern cal against the blue skies, which are always present on location and easy to use at f/22 and effective iso 100. I am taking five test clicks before and after every shoot, and examining the blue sky frames closely on an extremely high-res Apple monitor. I hate using white walls since I cannot get a low iso without setting up some speed lights. The nice thing about using clear blue sky is that this can be done on location here, and viewed on location with other Apple device retina displays.
As I mentioned in a previous thread, when I looked at this D600 sensor out of the box, after both a dry and wet cleaning, there was almost no dust. My subsequent blue sky test clicks have shown one or two dust particles that have been amenable to dry cleaning. I am saving all my blue sky dust shots on one of my Apples for my own peace of mind. And it makes a real game of it to try and achieve zero dust particles after cleaning. I also take the blue sky test shots at jpeg optimum image settings just to save hard drive space. And I only use the internal sensor cleaning option manually, after manually dry cleaning the sensor.
At the moment, I feel that I am probably just moving a few dust particles around on the sensor to satisfy my own curiosity. What is important for nikonians, is that in my opin the D600 sensor displays no more dust than the D800 or D4 sensors that I have worked with.
I think one of the biggest obstacles other nikonians have faced with cleaning dust or oil off their sensor is that they did not have the proper viewing loupe to actually see the dust on the sensor, nor did they understand how important it is to locate the dust on the sensor.
Film camera owners will understand intuitively that when looking at the negative emulsion side for film plane dirt issues, that all SLR images are inverted at the film plane. Not just a top to bottom inversion, but a mirror-image inversion as well. In any case, if I try to send a DSLR back to Nikon in El Segundo with only a few dust specks on the sensor, the tech service folks will never speak to me again. good luck

This is a hot, active topic! Anyone buy a D600 in May/June? [View all] , stash Gold Member , Wed 19-Jun-13 10:28 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Anyone buy a D600 in May/June?
Reply message D800 has dust and oil too
Reply message RE: D800 has dust and oil too
     Reply message RE: D800 has dust and oil too