Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone buy a D600 in May/June?

lajolla

LaJolla, US
389 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Anyone buy a D600 in May/June?"

lajolla Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2005
Wed 19-Jun-13 10:45 PM

I shoot with film and digital SLR Nikons (including the D600) along the beaches here in Southern California.
I can tell everyone that saltwater air (and occasional blowing sand) require all DSLR camera bodies to have their sensors and mirrors cleaned frequently. Likewise for the SLR mirrors, mirror boxes and the focal planes of all film cameras used at the beach. For me, these are not only dust issues, but saltwater issues. The saltwater mist evaporates and leaves microscopic NaCl crystals everywhere. The one nice thing about using Fx DSLR camera bodies and the F5/F6 is that you can use the same Nikkor glass, which you only have to clean before and after the shoot. It is essential to use good UV front-element filter protection for your lenses. I also find that cam body viewfinders get a saltwater mist coating that needs cleaning after every shoot.
The bottom line is that if you do not feel comfortable on how to safely, and manually, clean a DSLR sensor, find out how to do this as soon as you can. Or you will need to send the body back to Nikon (in El Segundo, CA) for periodic cleaning. But absolutely all interchangeable lens DSLR's (including Nikon DSLR's) need sensor cleaning frequently, no matter what the shooting environment. I was kind of shocked when I first encountered and read all the dust-mania postings here on nikonians, but then I quickly realized that many folks here have never really had the training or information on how to properly clean their equipment. I am glad to see the nikonians folks now are paying close attention to sensor cleaning techniques for all Nikon DSLR bodies. Thankfully the full frame Fx sensors on the D4, D800 and D600 are much larger and easier to clean than Dx body sensors. Here in Southern Cal where many folks rent their D4's it is of course essential to know how to clean the sensor on location, and to safely return the cam body without incurring additional charges. I think the first thing I did with a D600 I have was to flip the low-pass filter and hand-clean the sensor, right out of the box.

This is a hot, active topic! Anyone buy a D600 in May/June? [View all] , stash Gold Member , Wed 19-Jun-13 10:28 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Anyone buy a D600 in May/June?
Reply message D800 has dust and oil too
Reply message RE: D800 has dust and oil too
     Reply message RE: D800 has dust and oil too