Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D600 or Fugifilm XE1

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D600 or Fugifilm XE1"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 10-Sep-12 04:26 PM

If you are using the camera for pro portraits, I think you've got to try an XE-1 in that situation (a lot) before making that decision. With portraits, the image is often about getting just a select portion of the image in focus, or the whole thing - depends on whether it for commercial directory or creative "salon" shots. In either case it's more about the focus detection and indication that the image crispness. Your lighting plays the other 90% and neither camera will help you with that.

I'm interested in the XE1 for a travel camera not for "serious" work, I have a D700 and that is my portrait camera. So perhaps I'm biased. I do have a X100 and X10 and I do like the quality of the Fuji images. I'm sure the EVF in the XE1 will beat my X100's hands down, but I can't see an EVF being as effective as a SLR viewfinder in placing the shadows, fine definition around the eyes, hair strands, reflections and highlights.

So in all that we differ in anticipating the camera's main purpose. I still recommend spending as much time as possible with the camera before making the choice based on commercial work.

BTW, the RAW conversion support of the X Pro-1 and XE-1 is still in question. Adobe does provide some level of conversion for these sensors, but there is significant disagreement in the RAW usage world whether it's a full quality conversion.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Nikon D600 or Fugifilm XE1 [View all] , jgreg Silver Member , Mon 10-Sep-12 02:45 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D600 or Fugifilm XE1