Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Live View Limitations, Aperture Adjustment, Preview Acc...

stuart benas

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Live View Limitations, Aperture Adjustment, Preview Accuracy"

stuart benas Registered since 27th Jun 2013
Thu 27-Jun-13 08:38 PM

i also ran into problems using live view on the d600. i contacted nikon and got some silly replies so started looking online and found this thread.

i enjoy taking night shots of large man made structure such as a factory on a river or a major bridge. typically i would put my camera on the trip and use live view to zoom in on the object to find a focus point and manually focus the camera. in many cases it is too dark to focus through the view finder. i find this to be the most accurate way to focus. i can leave the iso at 100 set the camera to f8 and use a 10 to 30 second shutter speed to get amazingly sharp images. this always worked on my d7000, d200 and d80.

this weekend i put my new d600 on a tripod and attempted to do the same thing. i was at iso 100 f8 and 20 seconds. i hit live view and i was presented with a basically black image with some noise running through it.

i took the picture and it was properly exposed. the confirmation image looked fine but the live view would not preview the image at the proper exposure. i had the brightness turned all the way up on the rear screen. the issue was that the preview was under exposed by about 9 stops. i was able to focus the camera by reviewing the image but that was a painful experience in trial and error.

everything else on the camera works great such as the menus or live view when ther eis enough light so i feel like it has to be a setting. the camera is too accurate even in low light for me to believe the live view is less effective than every other nikon dslr i have ever owned. i tested the issue on a nikon 50 1.4 af-d, 85 1.8 afs, 24 2.8 ais, and a nikon 70-210 ais as well as a tamron 24-70 2.8 vc.

A general, generic topic Live View Limitations, Aperture Adjustment, Preview Acc... [View all] , cwb1014 , Wed 08-May-13 05:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Live View Limitations, Aperture Adjustment, Preview...