Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Any regrets?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 04-May-13 11:50 AM

You can always upgrade gear. Any lens or camera body has an alternative that will have more features for additional cost. That doesn't mean you really need it.

I have a D800E and bought a D600 when it was released. I've used them side by side as well as used just the D600. There are differences. But for most photography, the D600 is a great camera and a substantial upgrade. I don't think you need the D800/E to be happy unless there are specific features you are missing.

The ergonomics are close, but there is a difference in layout of controls on the body. For the most part the issues are not significant.

There are a few places where the D600 falls short. For example, it only allows a 3 frame multiple exposure which I find silly. But unless you really need this feature, I don't think its a show stopper.

If you have been content with a D90, the D600 is a good choice. If there was a deficiency with the D90 that prompted your upgrade, you could look closer at features of each.

The reason to select the D800 is you truly need advanced performance. If you simply need a good camera that produces great images, the D600 is fine. Don't second guess yourself needlessly. And don't underestimate the impact on lens selection - with the resolution of the D800E you become much more demanding on softness and lens issues.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

This is a hot, active topic! Any regrets? [View all] , jmather , Fri 03-May-13 09:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Any regrets?
                                        Reply message Multi-frame noise reduction
                                             Reply message RE: Multi-frame noise reduction